When I began this blog in January 2009, I had no idea how many words I would come to write about my seventy-nine year old father. Our final year together was eventful. Most of it rough. And though we are now parted by death, I am certain Daddy’s Woody Allen-ish charm continues to bring smiles to a select group of fans who live with him beyond the veil.
My sister Christi and I, and my brother Jon, are the oldest fans he left behind. But the last eleven months of his life, Dad acquired a whole new set of fans and admirers at the nursing home where he lived. Part of me wished that the ‘old folks’ and his host of caregivers could have known Daddy back in better days, when he was younger and could deliver his own dry wit zingers. But, at the same time, I hated the circumstances that caused them to know my father at all.
So here, collected in real time, are the final bits and pieces of the last fourteen months of Dad’s life. I plan to come back and visit often. And while you’re here, I hope you enjoy your own visit. To have nothing more important on our plates than to visit with some old fart, whether in a nursing home or somewhere else, sounds like a wonderful world to me.
- February 20, 2009 Midwifery
- March 5, 2009 All Shook Up
- April 22, 2009 The Final Word?
- April 28, 2009 Good Night, Moonshadow
- May 1, 2009 Hope Chests
- May 6, 2009 The Garden Club
- May 8, 2009 Survivor
- May 19, 2009 Unplugged
- May 21, 2009 A Black & White World
- May 25, 2009 Help!
- May 30, 2009 Home Sweet Home
- June 4, 2009 Settling In?
- June 6, 2009 A Yankee Transplant
- June 11, 2009 No Matter
- June 28, 2009 The Quiet Supper Club
- July 6, 2009 Ghosts of Summers Past
- July 14, 2009 The Gospel of Daddy
- July 30, 2009 The Spirit is Willing
- August 2, 2009 Voices Barely Heard
- August 4, 2009 Slumber Smiles
- August 8, 2009 Are We There Yet?
- August 20, 2009 Travel Light
- August 25, 2009 Life’s A Dream
- September 23, 2009 The Comeback Kid
- September 29, 2009 The Long Goodbye
- October 13, 2009 Daddy & Larry
- October 21, 2009 A Lingering Fall
- November 1, 2009 All Saint’s Day
- November 3, 2009 Daddy Tuesday
- November 18, 2009 Life Amongst the Saints
- December 1, 2010 A Willie Nelson Christmas
- December 2, 2009 End Like Clint
- December 23, 2009 Going My Way
- January 27, 2010 Chocolate Sheet Cake
- February 11, 2010 Senior Olympic Games
- February 15, 2010 Lights Out
- February 24, 2010 The Scary Quiet
- March 6, 2010 Picnic
- March 9, 2010 Changing of the Guard
- March 19, 2010 Spring at Heart
- March 28, 2010 Never on Sundays
- April 17, 2010 Irish Sensibility
- April 22, 2010 Another Chapter
- April 25, 2010 Heaven
- April 29, 2010 Parting Gifts